Dad’s Chewy Mint Brownies
Chewy. Soft. Perfect.
Why do these brownies rock? Well the mint makes them extrmely fresh tasting, and they are chewy inside while still having that top crunch that we all love. If you don’t like mint, swap them out for some chopped chocolate.
This brownie is a real treat. To clear things up, these were made for my dad, he did not make them (although he really, really loved them). I have recently discovered my passion for not only cooking and baking but also creating new recipes. It’s definitely not the easiest thing to do but it’s certainly really fun. I decided that sharing my brownies was a perfect choice! Who doesn’t love brownies? Good brownies are soft, chewy, yet crunchy on top at the same time.
The first recipe I want to share is these incredibly smooth, creamy, and amazing brownies. Now, I do appreciate box brownies because they are easy to make, but if you have the time, homemade is the best! If you want a great ranking of boxed brownies, this article is pretty spot on if you ask me.
Why these brownies are super special.
My dad recently turned 50 (woohoo!) and we couldn’t celebrate the way we wanted to due to COVID-19, and I wasn’t able to be home. However, once our shelter in place lifted I knew home was the first place to go! My dad doesn’t need anything new and fancy but he does love sweets – especially if it has chocolate and mint in it. The twist in these brownies (if you choose) is that they have Andes mints in them!
So I got started on deciding what I wanted in these brownies other than the Andes mints. I knew it needed a bit of saltiness to work with the chocolate chips I HAD to add in obviously. But I also love brownies that are soft and chewy in the middle, with a good crunch on top.
If you don’t like mint, then that is totally fine and you can leave it out. But since I was surprising my dad, I will share that I added those minty candies in the brownies and it was AMAZING! It added a really fresh feeling in my mouth, counterbalancing the super sweet chocolate and the saltiness from the butter.
So not only are these brownies super creamy, they’re just perfectly baked; soft in the middle with a crunch on top. Definitely one of the best brownies I have ever eaten!
My dad’s honest comments: “Perfect level of moistness. The Andes mints make it fresh. The crust on top adds that needed texture. Awesomeness.”
I am SUPER proud of these brownies, comment below and share this post if you make them and like them!
IngredientsIngredients for brownies
3/4 cup salted butter, melted
Soft butter for greasing the pan
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. whole milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup Andes mint & 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips OR 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and wait for it to be completely preheated before baking. Grease a 8 x 8 in. square pan on all sides and the bottom so it doesn’t stick.
- In a large bowl use a hand mixer to blend the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until completely mixed.
- Next mix the eggs in one at a time until they are completely mixed in and you have a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Using a smaller bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and the salt. Slowly add it into the egg mixture, one cup at a time to mix it properly. Next, add in chocolate chips and Andes and mix again. Spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 38-40 minutes, or until you see the brownies pull away from the sides of the pan. Check the middle of the pan to see if baked all the way through. Let them cool completely (or when they are still warm and gooey) and enjoy!